Sunday, March 18, 2012

Efo Riro

Hello lovelies,
I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to the lovely mums out there,wishing you many more wonderful and fulfilling mothering years ahead! So to today's post, efo-riro is one of my favorite dishes and it is also one thing I can prepare with my eyes closed. After a week of eating sweet potato, pasta, honey chicken, etc. I started craving some proper Nigerian food so I decided to make efo-riro today. As some of you might have noticed this post is a little late and that's because I had some pounded yam along with it and that put me to bed before I could make it to my laptop..lol. In as much as this recipe is very easy to prepare and delicious, only pair it with pounded yam if you have absolutely no plans after afterwards. You have been warned!

Ingredients
3 cups smoked turkey drumsticks
1 yellow small onion (chopped)
1 tbsp. ginger powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
4 red bell peppers (remove seeds)
1 small red onion
3 small habanero peppers
1 cup palm oil
1/3 cup locust beans (optional)
2 bouillon cubes (knorr)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lb chopped spinach

Preparation
1. Rinse smoked turkey and cut into small pieces
2. In a medium size pot, combine turkey, yellow onion, ginger, garlic powder, and 6 cups of water
3. Boil on medium-high heat for 20 minutes
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
5. Grease baking pan
6. Remove turkey from broth and discard broth
7. Place turkey on baking pan
8. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes turning once halfway through baking period 
9. Rinse and drain the spinach getting as much water out as possible
10. Rinse and drain locust beans


Directions
1. In a blender, combine red bell pepper, red onions, habanero peppers, 2 tbsp. of water and chop (For ease, blend half the ingredient at a time) 


2. In a medium size pot, add 1/2 cup palm oil heat till its very hot which takes approximately 5 minutes on medium-high heat (cover the pot to avoid smoke and setting off the fire alarm)
3. Add tomato blend to the hot oil
4. Boil for 30-40 minutes or till the tomato blend becomes dry
5. Reduce heat to medium-low
6. Add 1/2 cup palm oil, bouillon cubes, turkey, locust beans, and salt
7. Mix gently but thoroughly and simmer for 5 minutes
8. Add chopped spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes
9. Make some white rice or pounded yam
10. Enjoy!


Have a lovely weekend lovelies!

Ajike...Xx

3 comments:

  1. So true about the pounded yam. I have not experience it personally but I have witnessed it several times with hubby. He doesn't last more than 5 min after eating it. But me,I'm not fazed, I dey kampe...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol @ you dey kampe,I barely lasted 5 minutes too.

    ReplyDelete