Sunday, April 15, 2012

Nigerian Fried Rice

Hello lovelies,
I hope you are all having a great week so far. I am so excited that tomorrow is officially  the last day of my college career. God has been too faithful to me even when I am undeserving, to Him be all the glory! So to today's post, I am a jollof rice person on any given day, however, once in a while I get this craving for fried rice. Fried rice is somewhat easy to prepare, the most time is spent prepping and once this is done everything else is smooth sailing. Nigerian fried rice can be prepared in so many ways you just need to find out what works for you. I believe everyone should have a foolproof way of making jollof rice, fried rice and stew, so today I will be sharing with you my way of preparing fried rice.

Ingredients
2 cups parboiled rice
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chicken liver
2 boneless chicken breast
1 cup cooked shrimp
1 cup carrot (diced)
1 cup whole kernel sweet corn
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
4 bouillon cubes
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
2 1/2 tsp curry

Preparation
1. Rinse liver under cold water
2. In a small pot, add liver, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup of water
3. Boil on medium heat for 15 minutes or till cooked
4. Dice cooked liver
5. Remove chicken skin and excess fat
6. Rinse chicken under cold water and dice
7. In another small pot, add chicken, 2 bouillon cubes, 1/2 tsp. curry and 1 1/2 cup of water
8. Boil for 15 minutes or till cooked
9. Remove chicken from broth and save broth for later use
10. In a medium sized pot, add 2 cups of rice and 6 cups of water
11. Boil on medium heat for 15 minutes or till rice is white but not tender enough to eat
12. Drain excess water, rinse rice under cold water and drain excess water again


Directions
1. In a frying pan, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil and heat on medium-high heat till hot
2. To the hot oil add half the amount of; shrimp, chicken, liver, and carrot
3. Add 1 tbsp curry, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 bouillon cube and saute for approximately 5 minutes
4. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and stir in half the amount of cooked white rice
5. Mix rice in gently
6. Transfer frying pan content to a clean medium size pot
7. Repeat steps 1-6 with the remaining half of the ingredients
8. Add sweet corn, green peas, and green pepper to the rice
9. Mix veggies in gently and salt to taste
10. Cover pot and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or till the rice is tender (turning halfway through the simmering process)


I made some plantains and peppered gizzard to go with the fried rice and it was oh so yummy! I will be uploading the recipe for the peppered gizzard in my next post. Good night my lovelies and don't forget to always live on purpose!

Ajike...Xx

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy, and it has plantain!!! :D
    I like the name "ajike". Thanks for dropping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good..new follower

    http://lifeandstylefjay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and following my blog:)

    ReplyDelete